*double check the dairy allergen content of chocolate you use
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease two cookie sheets (or use silicone baking mats/parchment paper for easy clean up)
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract
- Add dry ingredients, mix/knead to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Using an ice cream scoop, drop cookies onto prepared cookie sheet, 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the tops and edges
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to wire cooling racks to cool completely (if you can wait)
I created this recipe out of desperation when I went dairy free for my infant son. He has a dairy sensitivity and dairy is in EVERYTHING (especially the really good stuff).
These cookies are so phenomenal that my full dairy family and friends ask for them ALL THE TIME.
1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white granulated OR natural cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of quality dark chocolate chips* OR 12 ounces of quality dark chocolate*, coarsely chopped
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Follow me on instagram for more (@oliviamilana)
If you try this recipe let me know!