5 1/2 lb chicken, spatchcocked
Zest of 5 lemons, about 2 1/2 tbsp
1 tbsp thyme, roughly chopped
2 tsp rosemary, roughly chopped
1 tsp onion powder1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 cup of olive oil
5 zested lemons, sliced 1/2-1/3 inch thick
- Preheat oven to 450°
- On a large rimmed baking tray, drizzle approximately 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and arrange lemon slices like a rack (see video for demonstration).
- Scatter whole garlic cloves around lemon slices.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, onion powder, paprika, salt & pepper
- Take 1/3 of herb/spice blend and massage it into the inside of the spatchcocked chicken, flip chicken over and massage the remaining herb/spice blend onto the front of the chicken (breasts, thighs and wings).
- Place chicken breast side up on lemon “roasting rack” on the baking tray. Drizzle remaining olive oil over chicken.
- Put chicken into oven for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°.
- Take chicken out of oven and tent with aluminum foil and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lemon slices and garlic gloves from baking tray and mash them with a fork to create a lovely sauce to spoon over chicken before serving.