1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 ground black pepper
1 cup milk
1 egg, whisked
6 hot dogs, dried and cut into thirds
2 tbsp all purpose flour
4-5 cups vegetable oil
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, ground mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Whisk dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add milk and whisked egg to dry mixture. Mix throughly, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- On a large plate, dredge hot dog pieces in flour.
- Preheat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Oil should reach 350°F.
- Remove batter from fridge. Using a fork, lightly batter hot dog pieces and drop into oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot or splash oil while dropping corn dog nuggets into the oil.
- Fry for 3 minutes, flipping corn dog nuggets halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oil with slotted spoon onto paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with cheese sauce
Main Street Cheese Sauce
1 lb yellow American cheese, cut into small cubes
1 1/3 cup half and half
salt and pepper
- Add half and half to a medium sauce pan over low/medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- When half and half is simmering, slowly add cheese, stirring constantly.
- Heat until cheese sauce is smooth and cheese is fully melted.
- Season to taste and serve with french fries and corn dog nuggets.